How can screens in the future help me connect with others in a meaningful way?
Please note that the deadline of this contest has been moved to 1st December, 23:59 UTC! You now have four more days to create your stories! Please check your Mail box to see some tips that have been sent to help you in thicschallenge!
We have a series of three contests coming for Samsung about how we will use screens in the future. All contests will be launched in November and last two weeks. Each of the contest is on a different consumer need and we ask you to envision how we use existing or new/emerging technologies to make screens and the experience they deliver useful to address the need. We hope you like them!
With globalization, it is very common for young people to leave the nest. International and European scale programs make studying abroad for young people easier than before. More young people also stay in their parents’ house with considerations of income, job market, and housing price. Parents and friends feel the need to connect with these young people and therefore technology is a great ally for this.
The number of seniors living alone also grows. While not always physically far from their family, they are indeed living alone most of the time and thus in need to stay connected with their loved ones and other people they can identify with.
For this contest, we’d like to make you think about the different ways people are connecting . As people living far away from their relatives/friends, or due to a more independent lifestyle, being alone becomes a commonplace. As an example, it is normal to see more young people eating alone at a restaurant, probably because we all own a smartphone to entertain us wherever we are! Also, making social connections with others based on our immediate context and environment, such as meeting people nearby, connected with people with shared interests, etc. is prevalent today.
As people can be connected all the time through technology, there is also a need to disconnect and have me–time moments. People want to make the most of these moments and technology helps them with that.
Furthermore, as life expectancy increases, families become multi-generational. It is now common for a 5-year-old to know his great-grandmother! The chances for four generations of people to live close by are quite low, hence the need to be connected. Again here, technology enables generations to get together. Yet, instant messaging won’t be enough as people look for more intense and emotional interactions. Families want to have meaningful connections. The technology is expected to overcome physical and generational barriers and create better interactions among families.
With increasing urgency to connect and disconnect with others, the need to enrich and make the most of me-time experiences as well as make the most of the connection time grows more important as well.
Samsung believes there are better ways that people could be using their devices (TVs, mobile phones, or Tablets) to help them connect and disconnect. Can you help, too?
Show how the experience of connecting to others in a more meaningful way can be enhanced through screens.
Keep in mind what is needed:
- simplified and seamless access to family members/friends or people who have similar interests/people close by, as well as more meaningful interactions;
- when they are not in contact, me-moments that are more satisfying.
We’re not asking you to invent new devices nor new technologies.We’re asking you to use existing screens and emerging technologies (see below and in “Guidelines”) and imagine stories of family members who connect and disconnect with others better.
You should start with existing screens: TVs primarily and tablets, phones, Gear VR, and imagine how these screens can help people overcome physical and generational barriers.
Also, in the scenario you write, you can use emerging technologies such as Internet of Things, Virtual reality & Augmented Reality and Artificial Intelligence. (look at the guidelines for details about these emerging technologies).
You shall create an entry that describes the full user experience.
Your entry should be quite detailed and illustrated with supporting pictures.
Please address the following points:
- Who would this idea be suited for?
- How does your experience family/friends make more meaningful contact and how can new connections with peers be easily created?
- How are the screens used to connect and disconnect? Show us, step by step how the screens are used, in which context and which occasion.
- Tell us which screens are important and what is their role?
- Is the big screen/TV important? What is the role of the big screen
- Tell us what role the screen/hardware plays and what role the software plays
- Does the emergent technology e.g. AI/AR/VR/IOT play a role and in what way?
- How are they accessing and using content (photos, pictures, apps, games etc.) to enhance their connection experience?
- What are the feelings, sensations and benefits people have in your experience?
To encourage and stretch thinking to new experiences/occasions:
- Think about usage scenarios in home or out of home (on the go/at work).
- Think about different types of consumers e.g. techy early adopters vs not so techy; older vs. younger; families/single; health conscious vs non; style/design focused vs. not; creative vs. functional and any other different types of consumers you can think of.
Contoh ini hanya diberikan untuk menjelaskan apa yang kami harapkan. Harap jangan gunakan contoh tersebut dalam karya yang akan kamu kirim atau entrimu akan ditolak.
Here are some questions to inspire you:
- how can screens have tailored options for the solo users or special interest groups?
- How can screens help you make social connections based on location or immediate context?
- how can screens connect me more easily?
- how can seniors have an easy access to connection solutions?
- How can me-time be enhanced and optimized?
- how can the same screen be used by different generations?
- How can content (photos, pictures, special subjects/discussions, etc.) play a role in enhancing my experience?
- #1 Hadiah €3.000
- #2 Hadiah €1.500
- #3 Hadiah €500
Two pages presentation with images and text. (PDF only)
Kriteria untuk Menang
The winners will be chosen among those that best describe new ways to use screens in the future (next 3-5 years). These will be interesting/different to what people are already experiencing/how they are already using screens and relevant to consumer needs and what they want. Understanding well the need is central to making your entry a good one.
Panduan untuk kontes ini
- Entries should be in English.
- You can look at Samsung existing products here: http://www.samsung.com/uk/home/
- We will not accept new hardware ideas.
- Here is additional information about emerging technologies:
- Artificial intelligence: machines mimicking how the human brain works to help in doing complex tasks and chores. Chats bots, Siri, drones, self-driving cars, disease diagnosis are artificial intelligence uses. It can also involve talking to your devices through voice control e.g. Amazon Echo
- Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality: a way to immerse a user into a totally new experience. Augmented Reality “augments” reality by adding elements through a screen. Virtual Reality is a totally immersive experience, using a headset. With VR you can for instance be at the front row of live events, while sitting in your living room.
- Internet of things: it’s when physical devices in the house are connected to one another to collect and exchange data. It helps the user manage things (temperature, alarm etc.) in the house or be able to share and access content easily around the house. It also involves machines being more responsive e.g. prompting you if it needs a repair or if you can improve the experience.
- Entries should be in Bahasa Inggris
- Otorisasi dan lisensi untuk menggunakan elemen dilindungi (termasuk musik, foto..) harus menyertakan setidaknya (i) hak untuk menggabungkan unsur-unsur yang dilindungi di karya-karya baru yang berasal atau berdasarkan unsur-unsur ini, (ii) hak untuk menggunakan untuk tujuan komersial dan (iii) hak untuk menggunakan di Internet. Kamu harus dapat memberikan bukti tertulis dari otorisasi ini dan lisensi pada setiap saat.
Panduan standar eYeka
- Jangan sebutkan data pribadi di dalam entri (nama, nomor kontak, alamat e-mail, dsb.)
- Simpan kreasi versi berkualitas tinggi untuk digunakan jika kamu terpilih sebagai pemenang.
- Mediamu harus merupakan kreasimu sendiri untuk dapat dipertimbangkan masuk ke dalam kontes.
- Kamu harus memperoleh izin tertulis dari setiap pencipta dan pelaku yang telah berkontribusi dalam media tersebut.
- Jika kamu memiliki karya apa saja (musik, foto, desain, dsb.) yang bukan merupakan milikmu sendiri, harap nyatakan di dalam keterangan media apakah musik dan/atau gambar yang telah kamu gunakan merupakan karyamu sendiri dan berikan tautan ke lisensi yang memberi kamu hak untuk menggunakannya.
- eYeka akan meminta kamu menyediakan bukti tertulis atau salinan semua dokumen tertulis yang mengonfirmasi izin penggunaan karya tersebut yang memungkinkan eYeka dan klien-kliennya untuk menggunakan media sesuai ketentuan Peraturan kontes.
- Media yang tidak mematuhi peraturan-peraturan tersebut tidak akan diperhitungkan untuk dimasukkan ke dalam kontes.