Technique N°8 - Become the challenge
Identification can be a strong technique!
At eYeka we believe that everyone is creative as soon as one opens his mind and lets ideas flow freely. To help creators from everywhere tackle brand issues, we are providing you with Creative Techniques. Browse them, play with them and add them to your daily creative process to generate your best ideas!
When facing a challenge one good way to get ideas it to identify yourself with its main object or process. It will force you to change your point of view and thus generate ideas.
Using the problem statement as a new point of view is one way of generating ideas. This technique helps you define the problem boundaries, feel the emotions and understand the process by which your problem goes through.
To do so, follow the steps listed below:
- Read your problem statement with attention and identify its main object or process. What cannot be removed in your problem statement? What is the core of the challenge?
- Ask questions like the one below and try to answer them with detailed story:
- How would I feel if I were…?
I might feel lonely, be missing home, feel bored and tired, maybe stressed but also excited; I might be looking for a workstation.
- What would happen to me if I were…?
I could look for all the activities that I can do easily during my trip or I might want a place to get me ready for my next meeting…
- What would I think, feel or how would I act if I were…?
I might ask my way around a lot, I might feel the need to be connected to my family and co-workers.
- Once done, note all the new ideas you had!
By taking the point of view of your problem, you progressively embrace its boundaries, making it simpler to solve.
Did you find new ideas to solve the problem? If yes, congrats! If not move on to the next technique!